Summer One-on-One Series: Students Grades 11-12 & Parents
Applying for college is not an easy road to navigate. It requires a clear map, plenty of signposts, and an organized approach at every turn. With solid time management skills, students can juggle multiple deadlines and prevent last minute scrambling. With an organized approach to writing, students can successfully draft and revise application essays and supplements. Strong executive functioning skills empower students to meet the challenges of the application process head on.
Join Thinking Organized in a summer seminar series for students preparing to apply to college and their parents. Seminars will focus on setting priorities and goals; making and revising plans; and initiating, executing, and completing the different tasks in the application process. Each session will have a specific assignment to move you along in this process, and will also teach you a technique or skill that will help you, not only in school, but also in life.
Session 1 – Getting Started: The Calendar of Many Deadlines
- Manage the many deadlines associated with applying to college, including multiple school applications, essays, supplements, teacher letters of recommendations, transcript orders and more.
Session 2 – Putting Yourself on Paper: The Common App
- Learn strategies to create a workable plan for tackling the common application.
- Learn how to start organizing your thoughts into an essay that demonstrates your personal strengths and uniqueness.
Session 3 – Tailoring Your Story: Supplemental Essays & Interview Skills
- Learn how to tailor your story and experience for the supplements, including how to look at a school, what attracted you to the school and how to include the information in the supplement.
This week-long program meets daily for 90-minute sessions Monday-Thursday at the Thinking Organized office.
2018 PROGRAM WEEKS:
Please contact the office for program availability: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-986-1503.
Goal-setting and Supporting Your Child Through the Application Process
- Understand how to organize the “calendar of many deadlines,” the common application process, navigating the online portal, and learn many ways to help your child prepare for interviews and write critical essays.
Please contact the office to schedule a parent session.Navigating the Road to College